[mythtv-users] Going to add HD-- anyone with the WD "green" sata drive?

Michael Lynch lynchmv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 01:14:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Michael Donaghy
<mdonaghy at michaeldonaghy.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 05:44:11PM -0400, John Drescher wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:
>> > I'm looking at the WD 1TB, but am wondering if there is a significant
>> > difference in speed between the "green" version of the drive (here:
>> > http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317) and the
>> > standard one
>> > (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284). It's a
>> > roughly $22 difference, not a huge issue.
>> >
>> > If anyone has 'em, would appreciate feedback, thanks.

I just got this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101131 (it
includes the WD 1tb Green drive) in yesterday.  So far so good.

Plug in the dock
Put the drive in the dock
fdisk the disk
format the drive (around 20 seconds with jfs)
add it to my default storage group
move all of my stuff from my old disks to this one because im going
from 4x200 to 1x1tb to save power/$$

So far I've been impressed with the hardware.  The newegg reviews are
mixed, with some folks saying that it seems flimsy and other negative
comments.  I have no issues with the dock nor setting it up for use.