[mythtv-users] Going to add HD-- anyone with the WD "green" sata drive?

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 22:23:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at the WD 1TB, but am wondering if there is a significant
> difference in speed between the "green" version of the drive (here:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317) and the
> standard one
> (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284). It's a
> roughly $22 difference, not a huge issue.
>
> If anyone has 'em, would appreciate feedback, thanks.

I've got the 500GB version which replaced a Seagate 320GB drive.

The GP is extremely quiet, draws about half the power of the Seagate
and runs nice and cool.

Streaming read and write performance is actually better than the drive
it replaced.  I think the 1TB model might be slightly better than the
one I have.

You do notice it's seems a bit slower if you do any disk activity that
is seek heavy with random IO, but with typical Myth activity it's
never noticeable or an issue.

I would buy another if I were in the market to do so.

-Dave