[mythtv-users] RAM differences, was: will this system cut it ?

Graham Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Fri Mar 13 22:00:29 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Brian Wood
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 10:43 AM
To: sonofzev at iinet.net.au; Discussion about mythtv
Subject: [mythtv-users] RAM differences, was: will this system cut it ?

I now try to buy the cheapest RAM I can find, as long as I buy from a
reputable vendor with good return policies, am I wrong?

If you're not going to overclock, then probably not... I seem to have been
majoring in OCZ at the moment, but also had Crucial and Kingston when on
sale. One thing I would always, ALWAYS do, no matter who the manufacturer
is, is to run it for at least 8 or 9 passes on Memtest86+ (I usually run it
over night, or when I am at work). It's pretty good at testing out RAM, and
I've had it find bad sticks of pretty much every brand of RAM I have. (I am
also one of those people who run a destructive badblocks on every disk I buy
- particularly before putting in any RAID array).