[mythtv-users] RAM differences, was: will this system cut it ?

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Fri Mar 13 21:56:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:21 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I could not get a Crucial 4GB DDR2 800 Dual-Channel pair to work in my
> Asus
> > board (would not even POST), but an OCZ 4GB DDR2 800 Dual-channel pair
> > worked perfectly.
> >
> Did you try a bios update? I had some boards that would not take 8GB
> of DDR2 (2 pairs of 2GB) without updating the bios.
>
> John

Yessir.  ;-)   Latest Bios on both motherboars, still no love.  :-(

On the 2nd (newer) system, it would at least POST,  and BIOS recognized the
memory, but the system would lock up after a short time, even if just in the
BIOS...  So it was not stable at all.

The OCZ worked perfectly the 1st shot on both systems.  No issues
whatsoever.  I first tested it on the new system (Athlon X2 6000+), then
moved it to my backend (slightly older board - Athlon 64 x2 4800).  It
worked perfectly in both (and my backend is now running with 4GB DDR2 800 in
dual-channel mode.  Yay! )

After the successful 2x2GB OCZ install in my backend system, I then tried
4x1GB DDR2 800 dimms in the 6000+ system, and it worked fine.  (2x1GB that I
had already, and 2x1GB that I removed from my backend - both Crucial, with
same timings)

It's just that neither system 'liked' the Crucial DDR2 800 4GB set (2x2GB DC
kit)

Also, forgot to mention that the 4800+ didn't work witht eh 4x1GB DDR2
dimms, but they work fine in the 6000+ system.

I apologize for being a little vague and not including the motherboard
models - I'm at work and don't remember the exact models and don't want to
mis-quote them now by trying to 'guess'... ;-)   If anyone is interested in
knowing the exact models, reply to this message and I'll be happy to reply
with the specifics. ;-)

J-e-f-f-A