[mythtv-users] Going to add HD-- anyone with the WD "green" sata drive?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 21:44:11 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at the WD 1TB, but am wondering if there is a significant
> difference in speed between the "green" version of the drive (here:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317) and the
> standard one
> (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284). It's a
> roughly $22 difference, not a huge issue.
>
> If anyone has 'em, would appreciate feedback, thanks.

I have seen a lot of reports that they are slow. And running at 5400
rpm instead of 7200 rpm will account for this. They do use 1/2 the
power at idle 5W instead of 10W though. For most mythtv operations
they are probably fine. I am not sure I want to go back a few
generations in performance however.

John