[mythtv-users] RAM differences, was: will this system cut it ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 13 17:30:34 UTC 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009 11:13:51 Johnny wrote:

> As far as the high quality vs commodity RAM it is really just a
> numbers game. In general there are usually not fundamental differences
> between the performance of the RAM (assuming they have the same
> specs). The commodity RAM just undergoes less stringent
> testing/quality control. As a result they know they will have some
> known higher failure rate and thus they can pick a price and warranty
> that reflects that. It is basically a way for the chip fabs to
> increase their yields and the distributors to hit different market
> segments. The strategy is used in one form or another for virtually
> all electronics. If you don't mind a higher probability of failure and
> the possibility of doing an RMA then go with the cheaper stuff. If
> having a lower probability of dealing with that stuff is worth an
> extra $10 then go for it.

Makes sense, that's the sort of info I was looking for.

So I guess if the memory is installed and working, it is not any different
from the high-priced stuff, there is just a slightly higher chance of it not
working in the first place, or failing later on?

Quite honestly I tend to NOT want to buy RAM that is advertised as "allowing
me to dominate my ememies", that sort of marketing is an insult to my
intelligence, at least that's the way I feel. It aims at buyers who know
nothing about what they are buying, or so it seems.

I will pay more for performance, but not for a scantily-clad female image on
the heat spreader. If that's what you want, buy a Penthouse Magazine.

--
beww
beww at beww.org