[mythtv-users] will this system cut it ?

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 13 01:27:09 UTC 2009

>The Athlon 4200+ will use significantly less power probably 80W less
>at full load or 1/2 the power of your P4. Not sure if it will be much
>faster.

Not a major concern as this is my 2nd frontend and doesn't get used alot. Maybe a
couple of hours a week.

>A basic rule of thumb:
>K8 = ~ P4 - 1000 MHz.
>
>So that would say a 2.7GHz K8 would be similar overall performance to
>a 3.7GHz P4. Well the 4200 is not anywhere near 2.7GHz but has 2 cores
>instead of 1. I am not sure that will be an improvement in mythtv. But
>the 8500GT will be faster and it will support vdpau.

Interesting. I have noticed my other frontend which is on an Opteron 170 (2 GHZ
instead of 2.2 but 1MB cache per core instead of 512kb) manages Greedy High
Motion.... so does get a bit better performance out of MythTV..

>John
>)

So the primary question remains, will the VDPAU deinterlacing from the 8500 or
8400 (these are the only real options)... be better looking than Linear Blend
currently in use.