[mythtv-users] LP PCI Audio recommendations?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Mar 12 21:24:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Shawn Flynn <sflynn1 at rogers.com> wrote:

> That was my first thought as well, but alas I have been unable to find an
> spdif header on this Dell Optiplex motherboard. Even if I did find one, I'm
> looking for _optical_ digital out. All the header cables I've seen for a
> reasonable price are coax only.

I bought the parts but haven't built this yet:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

About 80% of the way down, there is a simple circuit to convert the header
pins on the motherboard to an optical connection. A couple resistors, a cap,
and a transmitter module that's really just an LED with a nice plug housing.

None of that helps you if you lack the header pins on the motherboard and
know what pin is what, but it might help others.