[mythtv-users] minimum card requirements for VDPAU

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Thu Mar 12 14:05:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 07:59 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday 12 March 2009 07:50:32 James Stembridge wrote:
> > 2009/3/12 Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com>:
> > > i would think that purchasing with a credit card would take care
> of
> > > the currency exchange issues.  or is it just that the online
> stores
> > > don't offer shipping options outside the continental US?
> > > if that's the case then we need to set something up to help our
> geek
> > > friends abroad...
> >
> > US stores frequently don't offer international shipping. Those that
> do
> > tend to charge so much that it becomes uneconomical, particularly
> when
> > you then have to add duty and VAT on top.
>
> If the shipper has to calculate, collect and then send to the
> appropriate
> government all of those taxes, I can certainly see why they might not
> want to
> bother with it, especially a smaller outfit.
>
> So you're saying the problem is the US vendors? It may just be a case
> of not
> enough potential business to justify the costs involved.
>
> Credit cards would seem to take care of exchange rate issues, but
> varying tax
> codes in each country could be a pain.
>
> I've wondered why merchandise I receive from Canada has customs forms
> attached, I thought we had "Free Trade" in North America.

Normally taxes are the responsibility of the recipient, based on the
pro-forma invoice issued with the good and the little green
international value declaration sticker. The vendor does not have to
worry about this.

US vendors have issues with 2 things: the infrastructure needed (price,
shipping, etc...) for overseas shipping, but as well, and this is the
major cause of problems, with accepting foreign credit cards. They
cannot do any verification of a foreign credit card based on billing
address, among other things. This exposes them to more credit card
fraud, and this is a risk/overhead they are not ready to accept, in
general.

Nico