[mythtv-users] Second PVR not seen my MythTVSetup, possible permission problem?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 11 23:21:58 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 17:06:50 Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/11/2009 05:21 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > Trying to add 2 PVR-150s to a newly built machine.
> >
> > The first card (/dev/video0) works just fine.
> >
> > I can't add the second card, usually I can just scroll through the
> > available devices, but I can only get /dev/video0. If I manually set it
> > to video1 it says it can't open the card.
> >
> > Boot logs show both cards being initialized normally.
> >
> > Both devices appear to be there:
> >
> > ls -l /dev/vid*
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      6 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video -> video0
> > crw-rw----+ 1 root root 81,  0 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video0
> > crw-rw----  1 root root 81,  1 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video1
> > crw-rw----+ 1 root root 81, 24 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video24
> > crw-rw----  1 root root 81, 25 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video25
> > crw-rw----  1 root root 81, 32 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video32
> > crw-rw----  1 root root 81, 33 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video33
>
> Meaning that you will only find that device in mythtv-setup's drop down
> if you run mythtv-setup as root.
>
> > This looks correct to me, except:
> >
> > I don't understand what the "+" is after the video0 device. I don't think
> > it's the suid bit, or any of the things I'm familiar with.
>
> Permissions going above and beyond those representable with the standard
> POSIX permissions...  Translation: ACL.
>
> > But the device with the "+" works, the one without it does not. I'd just
> > add the "+", if I had any idea what it might be.
>
> So, either a) run mythtv-setup as root (assuming, also, that mythbackend
> runs as root) or b) change the *nix permissions on your device entries,
> or c) set an equivalent ACL on the second card's device nodes.

See my followup, both cards now show up in the dropdown and work properly,
both video0, which has the +, and video1, which does not.

Guess I'll have to look into ACLs. Is this a Fedora/CentOS only thing? I
haven't used Fedora in years, mainly use Gentoo and Debian.

I was testing the latest MythDora, before I ship it to a friend to install,
hence the Fedora-based system. I have spoken with the MythDora folks about
the matter.

Thanks for the pointer(s).

--
beww