[mythtv-users] Need a PCI Express x1 serial adapter

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Mar 11 00:31:09 UTC 2009

Dean Collins wrote:

> Wow can you really drive 8 monitors from a single PCIe card?
>
> ( 4 x pci graphics cards (eg 2 vga ports per card)
>

> Would be perfect for a hallway of monitors  photo display idea I want
> to build.

Yes, and no.  A PCIe x1 slot is good for 250MB/s, bidirectional.  Even
if those slots were all on independent buses, which they're almost
certainly not, thats only some 65Mpixels/s, or roughly enough to drive a
single 1280x800 display at a standard 60Hz.  Now that device is probably
limited to a single PCI bus speed of 133MB/s peak, halving your
throughput.  On the opposite side, you're going to be displaying static
images at nothing close to 60Hz.

Can it be done? Probably.  I wouldn't suggest doing any sort of
transition effects unless you can either guarantee that you can stagger
them, one monitor at a time, of your program uses opengl to display the
images.