[mythtv-users] shocking hardware issue

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 22:03:09 UTC 2009

> The fact that this happened jus after he added the tuner card makes me
> suspect
> it is indeed a problem with the cable TV ground vs. the AC power ground.
>
> I'd try measuring the voltage between the CATV shield and the AC ground, if
> it
> is more than a fraction of a volt I'd investigate further.
>
> It may have been, as the OP alluded to, a static shock. These can build to
> very high potentials and are a common cause of problems, but the power
> switch
> really should be insulated from anything in the case, as was pointed out
> they
> are usually just plastic plunger that presses on a microswitch or similar
> device.
>
> I'd also make sure the power cord is properly grounded and not fed by any
> sort
> of a "cheater" device or improper adapter, and that the polarity of the
> outlet feeding the machine is correct (The larger blade is the neutral, the
> smaller one is "hot", and there should be no significant potential between
> neutral and ground. This assumes the OP is in the USA or a country with
> similar standards.

FYI.  OP is in the US.  There are no "cheater devices" in the works, just a
common surge protector/power strip.  I've done extensive work on my
electrical system in the house, and everything seems to be grounded (though
I haven't worked on this particular outlet, which could have unknown issues
to me).

I am also an Engineer (though the kind that drives CAD software, not
Locomotives, and designs machines, rather than operate them)

-Josh