[mythtv-users] New Setup Question regarding tv tuner cards

Ethan Pierce ethan.pierce at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 10 20:25:11 UTC 2009

Greetings, I'm new to the list and mythtv.  My hardware is all on order
(a fairly beefy quadcore, 8gb and 1tb machine), which includes a
pcHDTV5500 as well as a PVR-500.

I use timewarner cable.  I spent about 3 hours researching cards the
other night
and it seems like the two I purchased are best for my setup and having
the ability to watch/record shows a the same time.

I may have went overboard with my card purchase, but am wondering if I
will be able to record multiple shows
at the same time with this setup?  I understand the PVR-500 doesnt do
the HD content but can it be assigned to use its hardware encoders for
the job of transcoding/etc?  Basically I want to be able to watch/record
HD shows as well as those found on the analog stations.  Did I over do
it on my card selection?

I have a DCH6200 Motorolla box too, will/can that be eliminated from the
picture?

Will I just split my cable lines three ways - 1to the pchd card and 2 to
the PVR-500 lines?

Thank you for your advice