[mythtv-users] Apple Products as FEs

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 19:20:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:50 AM,  <scott at tbwifi.ca> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> This previous subject line thread, which I doubt will link up properly,
> was discussing the merits of Apple products for use as a Frontend.
> Although I'm aware that the Mac Mini is a better option and likely the
> only one for HD, I'm not requiring that much punch right now.  I currently
> use two MVPMCs and am frustrated with their reliability.  It is degrading
> my WAF of my overall Myth system.
>
> Can someone who has successfully used one of the Apple TV boxes please
> comment on these questions?

A lot of these questions can be answered by searching the archives at:
http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/
I'll try to answer what I know. Mr. Davilla knows everything ;-)

> 1. Can one leave the regular functionality, menu structure, and appearance
> of Apple's system in place and overlay Myth into it?

You can make your ATV a dual-boot machine. Boots off the USB for
Linux, remove USB and you have AppleTV. I've done this and it works
fine.

> 2. As per item 1 above, does Mythtv just show up as an additional menu
> item somewhere?
> 3. If one is just intending to play back standard 720 x 480 DVD quality
> stuff, will this work seamlessly without issue?

I have to transcode some HD programs to work. But, most do work. Some
people have no problem with 720p

> 4. Does the entire Myth Frontend interface get loaded in to Apple TV or is
> it a custom interface similar to what the MVPMC project has done?

You install Linux on the Apple TV HDD.

> 5. Does Live TV work well at standard resolution (not HD)?

Yes.

> 6. Is a custom remote required or an option?  Does the standard small
> Apple remote function acceptably?  With that, how does one skip a
> commercial?

The apple remote works ok. I changed to a Harmony and never looked back

--
Brad Fuller