[mythtv-users] Apple Products as FEs

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Tue Mar 10 19:19:00 UTC 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 2:50 PM, scott at tbwifi.ca wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> This previous subject line thread, which I doubt will link up
> properly,
> was discussing the merits of Apple products for use as a Frontend.
> Although I'm aware that the Mac Mini is a better option and likely the
> only one for HD, I'm not requiring that much punch right now.  I
> currently
> use two MVPMCs and am frustrated with their reliability.  It is
> degrading
> my WAF of my overall Myth system.
>
> Can someone who has successfully used one of the Apple TV boxes please
> comment on these questions?
>
> 1. Can one leave the regular functionality, menu structure, and
> appearance
> of Apple's system in place and overlay Myth into it?
I use Mythtv FE on my macbook pro and imac. It looks exactly the same
as on Linux.

> 2. As per item 1 above, does Mythtv just show up as an additional menu
> item somewhere?
Shows up as an App. You can put anywhere (alias or in the dock).

> 3. If one is just intending to play back standard 720 x 480 DVD
> quality
> stuff, will this work seamlessly without issue?
> 4. Does the entire Myth Frontend interface get loaded in to Apple TV
> or is
> it a custom interface similar to what the MVPMC project has done?
Don't know, using Macbook, not Apple TV

> 5. Does Live TV work well at standard resolution (not HD)?
> 6. Is a custom remote required or an option?  Does the standard small
> Apple remote function acceptably?  With that, how does one skip a
> commercial?

I use auto-skip, but I am pretty sure there is hooks for the Apple
remote in the code already.

I wouldn't mind switching to a Mac as a backend. I have HDHomeRuns
which are supported on the OS X BE, but it would be really nice to be
able to use a USB tuner also. I don't know what it would take to get
that in the OS X backend code.

- James