[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Mar 10 19:14:17 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 13:08:03 Andrew Burgess wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 10:43 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> > The same thing sometimes happens to linemen in residential areas, when
> > someone gets the clever idea of powering their house using an extension
> > cord with a male range plug on each end.
>
> The procedure for linemen is to ground the line before working on it.
>
> But I suppose after you follow procedure a few hundred times and
> nothing
> happens you get sloppy.

We were always taught to touch the wire with the back of our hand first, even
if it was grounded, so if it was hot the reflex jerk would pull your hand
away from it. If you grab it in a closed hand you will then have a
literal "death grip" on it.

But you're right, accidents happen when people forget or ignore the rules.

--
beww
beww at beww.org