[mythtv-users] Apple Products as FEs

scott at tbwifi.ca scott at tbwifi.ca
Tue Mar 10 18:50:14 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,

This previous subject line thread, which I doubt will link up properly,
was discussing the merits of Apple products for use as a Frontend.
Although I'm aware that the Mac Mini is a better option and likely the
only one for HD, I'm not requiring that much punch right now.  I currently
use two MVPMCs and am frustrated with their reliability.  It is degrading
my WAF of my overall Myth system.

Can someone who has successfully used one of the Apple TV boxes please
comment on these questions?

1. Can one leave the regular functionality, menu structure, and appearance
of Apple's system in place and overlay Myth into it?
2. As per item 1 above, does Mythtv just show up as an additional menu
item somewhere?
3. If one is just intending to play back standard 720 x 480 DVD quality
stuff, will this work seamlessly without issue?
4. Does the entire Myth Frontend interface get loaded in to Apple TV or is
it a custom interface similar to what the MVPMC project has done?
5. Does Live TV work well at standard resolution (not HD)?
6. Is a custom remote required or an option?  Does the standard small
Apple remote function acceptably?  With that, how does one skip a
commercial?

Sorry for so many questions, but if I spend more $$$ to upgrade from what
I have now, I want to be sure that I have a reliable product.

Thx
Scott