[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 11:37:43 UTC 2009

> <snip>

> The truly sad thing is that if we (USA) had built just ten nuclear
> power
> plants of normal capacity per year since 1980, we would now emit zero
> carbon from producing our electricity in this country--with the
> exception
> of load balancing generation.
>
> So, the anti-nuclear lobby caused our contribution to global
> warming.  I'm
> still waiting for them to admit it and change their stance...
>
> Unfortunately, a bunch of the USA public let themselves be
> frightened into
> going along with them, and did not think through the consequences--
> which
> is now expensive electricity in much of the country and carbon
> emissions
> from coal plants elsewhere.  It's not possible to turn on a dime and
> correct their mistake.  We're all going to be stuck with the cost of
> their
> ignorance.

While I am all for building a few more nuclear plants (or as good ol
'W' likes to sake Nukuler) I still believe that every citizen has a
responsibility to produce a portion of the energy that they use. Some
places, solar will be the option (and with the thin film printed solar
panels, they're just using ink now... these aren't mainstream yet, but
they're coming) some places wind will work better, other places can
use micro-hydro, and many people will be able to combine all of the
above. Combine this with batteries in all the homes (load balancing
plus UPS for all) and a smart power grid with tiered rates, and our
power problems would be in the past...

~Jon