[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Mar 9 01:15:57 UTC 2009

Mark Knecht wrote:

>    I'm at an impass with this whole MythTV thing. Our PG&E bill is
> running $350/month right now, about 60% is electricity. ($200 last
> month) We have a gas heater and gas water heater, but electric pool
> pumps and oven/range. My Kill-a-Watt told me that if I assume the
> MythTV server is the most expensive electricity I buy (because it is a
> luxury) then it's costing me about $18/month to run the backend. My
> old fridge is about $30. We've got 6 PCs running here, 1 STB, 1 HDHR,
> a couple of TVs, monitors, wireless phones, network equipment, etc.,
> etc., etc. so I'm pretty sensitive to the electricity usage at this
> point. We converted the whole house to CFL already. I figure it's
> probably $10-$15/month to rent an STB and also pay the electricity
> bill to run it. If I end up with 3 - 1 on the main TV and 2 for
> recording, then MythTV is starting to look like $40-$60/month in
> reoccurring costs along with about $125 going to Comcast already.
> Ugly...

I've spent a lot of time and effort getting Myth to run in a multi-seat
environment.  I've gone from 7 PCs to 4, and soon to 2.  (The only thing
between me and 2 PCs is a weekend in the attic stringing cable.)

OK, you give up XvMC and you have to pick-and-choose - basically HD only
runs on 1, maybe 2 heads per server at a time, but other than that it
works and you don't get the hit of multiple PCs running up the power
bill.  As soon as my new mobo gets here I'll start playing with nouveau
and see if I can get a bleeding-edge setup without the evil binary blob
nvidia drivers.

:-)

--Yan

--
  o__

I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization.