[mythtv-users] Upgrade and problems with 32kHz audio

Ray maillists at sonictech.net
Sun Mar 8 07:15:16 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/07/2009 11:47 AM, Norm Dugas wrote:
>> Ray wrote:
>>> I recently upgraded to the latest Mythtv version and I'm having
>>> problems with some of my older recordings that were recorded with an
>>> audio sampling rate of 32000 Hz.  These are Mpeg4 files from a bt878
>>> card and probably using btaudio (they were recorded back in 2003 &
>>> 2004).  The videos play fast and the audio sounds like chipmunks.
>>> My recent recordings done with a PVR-500 card play just fine.  I
>>> tried transcoding one of these problem videos with a profile that
>>> specifies 48kHz audio sample rate but mythtranscode just copied the
>>> audio.  I've tried setting playback to "use video as time base but
>>> that didn't help either.
>>>
>>> Is there anything I can do to either get Mythtv to play these shows
>>> correctly or to transcode them into something Myth will play?
>>>
>> I used to have some 32Khz audio on recordings when I captured analog
>> channels over firewire on my cable box.  I know I was able to convert
>> the audio on these.  You can do what you want with avidemux.  The
>> process I used was something along the following:
>> - use nuvexport to export the nuv file and sql (was the very last
>> option in the menu)
>> - use avidemux to fix the file
>> - copy the fixed file to the myth storage directory using the same
>> file name as the original
>
> If you're using analog output, Myth will play them back fine once you
> properly configure your audio subsystem (and specify the appropriate
> Audio Output Device in Myth).

That may be, I did upgrade my OS from Debian "Sarge" to Debian "Etch" at
the same time as the Mythtv upgrade so it's possible that the newer Alsa
code requires a different config file however these files really did
play just fine in Myth for the past 5 years on this computer.  FWIW I
have Myth set to use "ALSA:default" for it's output and mplayer seems to
handle these same files just fine with -ao alsa:device=default which
should be the same in terms of the audio path shouldn't it?  I'm also
having these same symptoms when using my laptop for the front end.  The
laptop is a bog standard Ubuntu 8.10 and it's old enough hardware to be
analog only.

--
Ray