[mythtv-users] Perfect frontend?

Enigma enigma at thedonnerparty.com
Sat Mar 7 09:11:23 UTC 2009

> Can someone offer me the right grub magic to make this automatically boot?
> I'm looking for the right command for when I boot off sda and have the
> thumb
> drive available as sdb, so that I can reboot without the hard drive (and
> the
> thumb drive will now be sda). The boot partition is sda1/sdb1.

You should be able to do the following (as root)

[blah at blah] # grub

   GNU GRUB  version 0.97  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

       [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.   For
         the   first   word,  TAB  lists  possible  command
         completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
         completions of a device/filename. ]

// First, tell grub the target root filesystem is on the first partition of
the second disk
grub> root (hd1,0)

 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd

// now tell grub to install the bootblock to the second disk
grub> setup (hd1)

 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
 Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd1)"...  15 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
 Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd1) (hd1)1+15 p
(hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"... succeeded
Done.

grub> quit

[blah at blah] #

If that doesn't work check /boot/grub/device.map (on the target drive) and
make sure it has an entry for /dev/sdb