[mythtv-users] Perfect frontend?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 01:07:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Brent Norris <brent at brentnorris.net> wrote:

> Skip the hard drive and just get a cheap USB thumb drive.  I bought them
> from newegg in a two pack and got rid of one of the noisiest things in my
> frontends.

This seems like a great idea so I decided to try it, but I'm having some
grub problems that I hope someone could help me with.

I wanted to try to clone my MythDora frontend onto a thumb drive, rather
than repeating the mythdora installation and customization.  I partitioned
the thumb drive (/dev/sdb) to fairly closely match the hard drive
(/dev/sda).  I used "tar" to copy files across to keep permissions and
everything intact.  Then I unplugged the hard drive and tried to boot off
the thumb drive.  Of course that failed because I didn't have a boot loader
installed.  So I tried something with grub-install, and grub directly, and
in both cases booting off the thumb drive put me into an interactive grub
prompt instead of automatically booting into linux.

Can someone offer me the right grub magic to make this automatically boot?
I'm looking for the right command for when I boot off sda and have the thumb
drive available as sdb, so that I can reboot without the hard drive (and the
thumb drive will now be sda).  The boot partition is sda1/sdb1.

Jim