[mythtv-users] artifacts in pvr-150 recordings, only recently

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 19:33:00 UTC 2009

> What are your bitrate settings?  This definitely looks like a low-bitrate
> problem--I completely agree with Raymond.
>
> Note, also, that for "noisy" analog signals (i.e. with static/etc.) you'd
> need higher bitrates than from "clean" signals from, i.e., a digital STB via
> S-Video.  I'd crank the bitrate to see if it helps...  Try 4000kbps average
> and 6000kbps max (assuming full-resolution 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL))
> at least.  Oh, and make sure you use full-resolution as some
> cards/drivers/firmwares don't deal well with scaling.

I record at 720x480, which I read somewhere was the ideal for the
pvr-150. I have some of my shows that I have recorded with high
quality recording profile, which uses 7500kbps avg and 9000kbps max
(probably overkill but I have the space), and most of the other stuff
is recorded at 5000kbps avg / 7000kbps max. I haven't messed with the
recording profiles since this started. I haven't checked all of my
recordings to pin down exactly when it started, but I know the
recordings from before February 28th don't have any artifacts. Pretty
much everything since then has them. It is odd. I did a lot of
tinkering on the 27th as I mentioned in my previous post, so I must
have messed something up. But I can't imagine what it is.