[mythtv-users] artifacts in pvr-150 recordings, only recently

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 18:54:15 UTC 2009

> Have you tried rebooting?  For a while I had a problem with my AVC-2410
> (which is a very similar card) where it would start glitching like that
> after a few weeks of continuous uptime.  The glitches would gradually get
> worse and worse until I rebooted the system; then it would be fine for
> another few weeks.
>
> The problem eventually resolved itself, but I'd changed so many things
> over a period of a month or so that I never did nail down whether it was a
> driver problem or something else.

Yes I have rebooted recently several times and the issue is still
there. Thanks for the suggestion.

I did some recording with a VCR (I had forgotten how awful the quality
was) while I was watching live tv in myth. I confirmed several times
that the artifacts were present in mythtv but not in the VCR
recording. So at this point I have ruled out problems with the source
(ie Comcast cable) and it isn't a problem with playback settings or
video card. So there has to be an issue with the pvr-150 or its
drivers. Someone suggested heat issues. This is a new system and I was
making lots of changes around the time the issue started. The major
changes I made around the time the problems started include, enabling
fancontrol (heat problem?), upgraded to Jean-Yves .21 VDPAU packages,
had to restore /var/lib from a backup and had to reinstall packages
that were updated since the backup. I am going to turn off fancontrol
and see if I can rule out a heat problem. Any ideas on what would
cause the pvr-150 to encode with the artifacts?