[mythtv-users] 24fps Movies and new 120Hz LCD TV

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 20:25:57 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/3/6 James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com>

> I just purchased a brand new 52" Samsung LCD from Newegg (LN52A650).  It's
> fantastic!  Great colors and everything looks sharp.  No dead pixels
> either.  Anyway, I hooked up my frontend to the panel using VGA (HDMI cables
> are on their way as we speak).  I have the color adjusted on that input so
> it looks better using the sudo nvidia-settings command.  However, I've
> noticed that when playing ISO movies, the TV is showing 60Hz instead of the
> 24hz (24fps).  I have been looking online, but haven't found anything
> conclusive as to how I can tell xine, mplayer or the Internal player to use
> 24hz.  Someone said to wrap up the command (mplayer, xine, etc) in an xrandr
> script.  Is anyone doing something similar to this now?  Is there a generic
> script that will detect the native frame rate of a video, then pass that to
> the xrandr command which then passes to a player?  I'm planning on
> purchasing a PCI 9400 from newegg ($75).  Would this help in my quest for
> smooth, perfect video?  Thanks for the assistance!

mythtv, xine, mplayer etc.. won't change the TV refresh rate to match the
videframerate.
using this patch: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5643 will help but there
are inner problem when using nvidia card. nvidia drivers do not report the
actual refresh rate but a unique value starting from 50.

As such, I updated those patches to be able to handle those weird reported
refresh rate:
http://www.avenard.org/media/Patches_%26_Add-Ons/Entries/2009/2/16_Match_refresh_rate_with_input_framerate_to_reduce_judder_and_nVidia_xrandr_support.html

If you search this distribution list, last month I posted the script I use
for starting mplayer that does the same job: it will use xrandr to set the
right refresh rate, then start mplayer...

Another thing to be aware of, if you're not using vdpau but Xv, do not do
this. There's a bug in the nvidia drivers, when using a display at 24Hz to
watch content at 24 fps, then X11 start using 100% of the CPU, and
everything crawl to an end...