[mythtv-users] Perfect frontend?

Brent Norris brent at brentnorris.net
Thu Mar 5 20:06:26 UTC 2009

Steven Adeff wrote:

> Do the thumb drives deal ok with the logs being written or do you have
> your /var/log nfs mounted to a drive on your backend, or does it just
> not matter?

They so far haven't seemed to have a problem with it.  They have been
running this way now since Sept of last year and one of them has been on
almost all of that time.  I have thought about going back and remote
mounting /var or /var/log, but just have never bothered.  It should be
even less trouble with ext4 now, as it is supposed to be easier on SSDs
and such.

I have some new sticks on their way because I plan on upgrading my
frontends to FC10 and since it was $24 for three of the 4gig ones I just
got new ones.  My plan is to do the installs on the new sticks and then
just switch them out.  If it doesn't work then just go back to the old
stick until I sort out what the problem is.

It also has some great advantages in that I loaded one machine, pulled
the stick out of it, took it to my backend plugged it in and the other
one too, and ran
dd if=/dev/sdg of=/dev/sdh
dd if=/dev/sdg of=frontend.img

and poof I had another stick for my other frontend and an image in case
I messed something up.  Plugged the second copy in, changed the hostname
and static IP and away I went.

No DHCP options to change, no dealing with MiniMyth (which I think is a
great project, but didn't want to work for me at all), no hard drive
whine, no heat from the hard drive, they boot fast.  I just did a normal
Fedora install on them.

The final piece would be to setup some kinda way that when I make
changes to one of the frontends, after I make sure it is what I want, to
then send the changes out to my other one, so that I don't have to run
RPM on both of them and stuff like that.

Brent