[mythtv-users] 24fps Movies and new 120Hz LCD TV

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 16:41:00 UTC 2009

I just purchased a brand new 52" Samsung LCD from Newegg (LN52A650).  It's
fantastic!  Great colors and everything looks sharp.  No dead pixels
either.  Anyway, I hooked up my frontend to the panel using VGA (HDMI cables
are on their way as we speak).  I have the color adjusted on that input so
it looks better using the sudo nvidia-settings command.  However, I've
noticed that when playing ISO movies, the TV is showing 60Hz instead of the
24hz (24fps).  I have been looking online, but haven't found anything
conclusive as to how I can tell xine, mplayer or the Internal player to use
24hz.  Someone said to wrap up the command (mplayer, xine, etc) in an xrandr
script.  Is anyone doing something similar to this now?  Is there a generic
script that will detect the native frame rate of a video, then pass that to
the xrandr command which then passes to a player?  I'm planning on
purchasing a PCI 9400 from newegg ($75).  Would this help in my quest for
smooth, perfect video?  Thanks for the assistance!

Jim