[mythtv-users] Can "Trashure" computer cut the MPEG2 mustard?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 4 23:34:51 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009 15:50:41 Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:39 PM,  <stefan_jones at comcast.net> wrote:
> > My main frontend has an Athlon 2500, 1 GB ram, and a Geforce 6200. It
> > handles OTA HD fine with XVMC. Who knows a 3200 might be able to
> > handle it without XVMC.
> >
> > That's encouraging!
> >
> > Is there a good reference for which GeForce offerings handle XVMC? I seem
> > to recall that some don't,
>
> I should also add, I do not use xvmc at all with my setup.  I think it
> all comes down to whether the via chipset will work or not.  I wish I
> documented all my tweaks, but happy to share my xorg.conf and the
> settings portion of my database.

I had a similar machine, with a 3700+ and the Via chipset. Had all sorts of
problems, until I replaced the mobo with one that had an nForce3 chipset,
since then, no problems at all.

Most of my problems happened when trying to do 3 or 4 recordings at once, so
if you don't stress it too much it might work for you.

The reported VIA problems were with DMA, so my results more or less make
sense. I might have been able to fix it by tweaking the PCI latencies, but
this was long before I learned how to do that.

--
beww
beww at beww.org