[mythtv-users] nuvexport and h264 encoding causes BE shutdown

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 17:34:53 UTC 2009

Unfortunately, this situation has gotten worse.  Now it appears that
not only nuvexport; but also watching an HDTV show using MythWeb's
built in flash player also causes the system to shutdown.

I tried to look at the system logs, but nothing is logged in there.
The system must be turning off before it gets a chance to write into
the log.

I did a sample run where I attempting to transcode a program (using
nuvexport).  It seems that nuvexport quits early due to some error...
I can see a prompt and type into it.  But it looks like there might be
a runaway process; because the backend then powers off 5 to 10 minutes
later.

The whole time I'm slowly watching my CPU temps crawl upwards.

My thoughts are that some software component (ffmpeg? or other) is not
properly installed or has a bug in it and I need to upgrade it.  But I
don't know which one or how to track it down.

I'm fairly confident it's not a hardware issue - because it only
powers off if I send it an HDTV transcoding job.  In other usage, this
box has simultaneously recorded 2 HD, 2 SD streams, while
comm-flagging and playing back 1 HD show with a Windows XP virtual
machine running at the same time without overheating.

I seem to be able to playback SD content in the mythweb flash player
without any shutdowns.  The biggest problem is that I don't want the
system to shutdown on me during prime-time, while it's recording.

This is on CentOS 5.2 x64.