[mythtv-users] DVI to HDMI what about th eaudio??? [FIXED]

A JM vbtalent at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:45:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:32 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> 2009/3/2 Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
>>

>>> I just wanted to put out the the group that this MB is capable of
>>> putting sound out the DVI port and with a DVI to HDMI cable and should
>>> play with the TV directly.
>>>

>> Which videocard was it ?
>>

> It was DVI on MB, not a video card.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500016&Tpk=Zotac%208300
>
> This quote from a reviewer:
> "HDMI audio worked just fine in Vista and XP (I didn't try it in Ubuntu)."
>
> The new alsa driver allows the alsamixer to see the HDMI audio port and
> allows you to un-mute it.  My assumption is that it would work for this
> board as well.  The last person I worked with had 3 IEC entries in alsamixer
> after the upgrade.  One was a slider that needed to be set to 0, one was
> IEC-HDMI which needed to be turned on and one was the familiar IEC-spdif.
>  In his case the bios also needed to be set but I don't think that is the
> case on this Zotac board from reading the manual.
>
> When using a jumper to a video card, the new alsa would not be necessary as
> this is just jumpering spdif on MB to the video card.  This may be where the
> later nVidia drivers are required, nobody has confirmed or denied that.
>
> My wiki deals with digital audio and is not aimed at analog audio or ways
> to disable digital audio in a TV.  I think the emphasis should be on getting
> the digital audio to work so that the analog connection to the TV is not
> necessary.
>
> Allen

I'll look into adding this to the wiki it's just so unpolished...

So, does anyone have experience with updating alsa on ubuntu to the newer
versions and any problems they had or are having?

Allen, interesting information that truely would be a software issue then...
hopefully someone will chime in with some other experiences.

AJM,