[mythtv-users] Internal player crashes during HDTV playback on specific recordings

Darren Hart darren at dvhart.com
Mon Mar 2 16:24:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Darren Hart <darren at dvhart.com> says:
>> > Corrupted stream.
>
>> Thanks for the tip, unfortunatley it still hangs
>
> Yes, I realized after replying that you reported the issue existing
> only on CBS recordings.
>
> Others have reported odd things happening lately with their local CBS
> affiliates' broadcasts. It's entirely possible that your affiliate is
> sending out a proper, uncorrupted signal that's still confusing
> mythfrontend.

Well, judging from how other players handle it (mplayer and xbmc both
can play it without crashing, but there is some solid evidence of
stream corruption even then) I doubt the stream is 100% valid.  Still,
Myth should be able to cope and continue playing as the other players
do.  I'll look into cropping the video and posting on my site (I have
plenty of space).

Thanks for the input.

--
Darren

> Try:
>
> * lossless transcoding. It's possible doing this might "smooth over"
>  any corrupt chunks.
> * filing a ticket. You'll have to arrange somehow to get whichever
>  developer answers it a snippet of a problematic recording. Just 10
>  seconds or so will do--say five seconds before and after--but 10
>  seconds of HD is still about 20MB. If you don't have access to a
>  personal Website of your own I can only suggest using megadownload
>  or some other free site that lets one distribute large files.

> --
> Frontend/backend:       P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
> Backend:                Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
> Video inputs:           Four high-definition over FireWire/OTA
> Accessories:            47" 1080p LCD, 5.1 digital, and MX-600

Darren Hart