[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 15:54:25 UTC 2009

> Your mention of the ADA is interesting, because I am aware of several people
> who connect their computers to large (over 50") screens due to visual
> impairments. Since screens this large are usually thought of as "TV sets" and
> not "computer monitors", this could be interpreted as violating HuLu's terms
> of service.
>
> Clearly, rules that preclude the visually handicapped from consuming the
> content would probably be illegal, and I'd think that if something is legal
> for a handicapped person to do it would be legal for anyone else to do as
> well.
>
> I think what happened is the Content Providers who insisted on the present
> rules did not consider all the consequences of the initial offering, in their
> pursuit of what seemed to be easy money. This resulted in a totally idiotic
> situation.
>
> I notice there doesn't seem to be a problem with cbs.com. They have better
> stuff than HuLu anyway, IMHO.
>
> Here's an interesting question: What if I watch HuLu on my TV set by using a
> commercial product that I paid for? Who is violating the terms? Me or the
> vendor of the product? I purchased the product and followed the included
> instructions, which resulted in HuLu on my TV set, am I breaking the law?
> Would the fact that I am using a purchased product be a viable defense?

I thought that watching Hulu on my TV via firefox, ie, or any other
browser is fine as far as Hulu is concerned. It is speculation that
Hulu's content providers had Boxee blocked so that people couldn't
watch the content on their TV. Probably accurate but still
speculative. There are other concerns as others have pointed out, ie
tracking users for advertising payments, control of the
look/feel/experience, etc. So all of this debate about whether it is
legal not legal to watch the content on a TV is mute, because nobody,
including Hulu is officially saying it isn't OK. The only issue is
whether Boxee or any other program has the right to scrape the content
from the Hulu site and present it in some other form, if it is
explicitly prohibited in the sites terms of use. I don't really have
an opinion on the matter, but if you guys are going to continue to
argue the matter at least try to stay on point.