[mythtv-users] SPDIF Optical Out Sound Card

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Mon Mar 2 15:45:18 UTC 2009

> > This is interesting to me. My old laptop is an Asus and it has two
> > miniplug sockets, one with the icon of a mike and the other with
both
> > the icon of headphones AND the sign "S/PDIF" next to it. From what
you
> > say, it might be possible that this plug functions as both.
>
> spdif is used for carrying a digital audio stream, including DTS &
> DD5.1.  The RCA jacks on your TV cary a magnetic analog signal.
> Unless you have an audio-video receiver that you can plug a spdif
cable
> into, you'll be using headphone cable with RCA plugs.

Very clear, thanks for the explanation. I will have to check, since my
plan is to connect the laptop to my DVD player (which has a
"home-theater" set of speakers, and many more connectors than my TV),
maybe the DVD player does have an S/PDIF sound input.

Best regards,

--
Gonzalo Diethelm
DCV - Chile