[mythtv-users] DVI to HDMI what about th eaudio??? [FIXED]

A JM vbtalent at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 14:09:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2009/3/2 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
>

>> I just wanted to put out the the group that this MB is capable of
>>> putting sound out the DVI port and with a DVI to HDMI cable and should
>>> play with the TV directly.
>>>

> I just did an experiment on my motherboard.
>
> I have a nvidia 9400 IGP based motherboard ; with onboard HDMI.
>
> I have sound currently working via the HDMI port to my surround sound
> system (yamaha YSP-4000).
>
> That motherboard has both a DVI and a HDMI port (though both can't be used
> at the same time).
>
> I unplugged the HDMI port and used a DVI to HDMI cable instead.
>
> A fair enough ; I had sound coming through.
>
> Quite happy about that especially as I needed to buy an extra hdmi cable
> and will not be able to use my old DVI cable instead.
>
> Jean-Yves

My backend is all driven by on board componenets so no separate components
are installed except for capture cards.

"I just wanted to put out the the group that this MB is capable of
putting sound out the DVI port and with a DVI to HDMI cable and should
play with the TV directly."

The MB does have SPDIF out but I'm a little confused on how it would put
sound out the DVI port - are you saying alsa would do that?

I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable and this is a Linux box Ubuntu so if I
understand you correctly your saying that if the Alsa drivers are installed
version 1.0.18 or later that the MB will automatically send the audio over
HDMI?

Ubuntu 8.10 actually appears to be using pulseaudio by default and it
appears that there are some issues with it as I read the forums over at
Ubuntu, a lot of no sound issues. I'd be willing to try to get Alsa working
over DVI/HDMI but I'm not quite skilled enough to set it up on my own.

Firstly would be getting the box converted from PulseAudio to Alsa I would
assume - I don't even know what the difference is, software?

AJM,