[mythtv-users] DVI to HDMI what about th eaudio???

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 21:38:46 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/3/2 Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>
>>
>> I saw a card advertised on the web the other day. The ad said audio
>> over hdmi would work with some adaptor cable, even though the card
>> only had DVI and was relying on a DVI/HDMI adaptor. I guess this is
>> your situation.
>
> But those card only take the sound from the SPDIF out on the motherboard

my question was really to do with how the sound got from the video
card to the hdmi cable, given the intervening DVI step, when DVI is
not supposed to be able to carry audio.

As I see it the audio passes this route on these cards:

MB-->graphicscard-->DVI-->DVI/HDMI convertor-->HDMIcable-->TV (or amp)

How does the audio pass through the DVI cable to the HDMI cable?