[mythtv-users] DVI to HDMI what about th eaudio???

A JM vbtalent at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 14:07:33 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:00 PM, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just ran test to see where my problem lies... and it turns out to be with
> the PC/Myth/Ubuntu.
>
> I pulled a dvd player that had DVI out RCA audio and I hooked it through
> the HDMI1 port on the tv and I got both sound and video.
>
> [EDIT]
>
> I found a post that describes my issue to a "T" (
> http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t88272.html) and modifying
> the xorg worked but now the picture is jacked up...
> *
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier    "Default Screen"
>     Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
>     Device        "Configured Video Device"
>         DefaultDepth    24
>         Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
>         Option         "UseEdid" "FALSE"*
>

> Below from the NVidia appendix doesn't seem to have the option for only
> turning of the sound, anyone else have any ideas???
>
> *Option "UseEdidFreqs" "boolean"*
>
> *This option controls whether the NVIDIA X driver will use the HorizSync
> and VertRefresh ranges given in a display device's EDID, if any. When
> UseEdidFreqs is set to True, EDID-provided range information will override
> the HorizSync and VertRefresh ranges specified in the Monitor section. If a
> display device does not provide an EDID, or the EDID does not specify an
> hsync or vrefresh range, then the X server will default to the HorizSync and
> VertRefresh ranges specified in the Monitor section of your X config file.
> These frequency ranges are used when validating modes for your display
> device.*
>
> *Default: True (EDID frequencies will be used)*
> *Option "UseEDID" "boolean"*
>
> *By default, the NVIDIA X driver makes use of a display device's EDID,
> when available, during construction of its mode pool. The EDID is used as a
> source for possible modes, for valid frequency ranges, and for collecting
> data on the physical dimensions of the display device for computing the DPI
> (see Appendix Y, Dots Per Inch<http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8774/README/appendix-y.html>).
> However, if you wish to disable the driver's use of the EDID, you can set
> this option to False:*
>
> *    Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"
> *
>
> *Note that, rather than globally disable all uses of the EDID, you can
> individually disable each particular use of the EDID; e.g.,*
>
> *    Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "FALSE"
>     Option "UseEDIDDpi" "FALSE"
>     Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"
> *
>
> *Default: True (use EDID).*

Another option I found for resolving this is to edit the EDID file directly.
I'm a bit ignorant to using a hex editor so maybe someone could help me out
that?? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118691)

In essence I need to get xorg.conf to load up the file like so

*Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/samsung.bin"*

and then edit the .bin file in a hex editor as described below... maybe it
will work.

*"I got the TV EDID dump from the Xorg.log, amputated the Extension Block
data (anything after byte 127, 0 base), reset the Extension Block count to
zero (byte 126) and incremented the checksum by 1 (byte 127) and, tada, the
9500GT now doesn't send the audio over DVI, meaning the TV now plays back
the RCA audio."*
*
*Any help would be appreciated with this as I know nothing about editing in
a hex editor.

Thanks.

AJM,