[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Mar 1 15:38:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 06:44:13PM +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>

> > We have here the classic case of parties A and B making an agreement that
> > binds party C to do something. This is generally considered not allowed.
> >
> > Probably of interest to folks following this thread:
> >
> > http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0209/598054.html
>
> copyright licensing has little to do with contract.
>
> I own copyrighted material. You have no right to copy it or do various
> other things with it unless I grant you a license to do those things.

    I have no right to copy it.

    That is pretty much it.

    Anything else you can stop me from doing with a copy of the
work once it enters my posession comes down to either copying or
something that can be considered a form of copying.

> I can release my material (eg on the web or on a cd) on certain
> conditions, which conditions are called a licence. You don't need to
> pay me anything. You don't need to buy the Cd from me. The fact is you
> are only licensed to use the material on my terms, and those terms
> allowed by the copyright law.

    If I buy a CD from you, there is no license.

    There is only copyright law.

    Ultimately, that's really all that's needed to "protect" authors.
The rest is just authors and publishers trying to put one over on the
rest of us trying to claim for themselves rights that really don't
exist in law.

    Unfortunately, there's entirely too many people willing to go
along with the idea (the virtual land grab perpetrated by publishers).

[deletia]

    The ultimate logical conclusion of such shenanigans is the elimination
of anything remotely comparable to MythTV.