[mythtv-users] mythtv and music

Ben Coleman arrikhan_mail at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 1 00:17:50 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com
> <mailto:philwild at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good music player that
>     could be integrated into mythtv. The mythmusic interface is not to
>     my liking. I like to be adle to decide how to find music (genre,
>     album, artist etc) and mythmusic is not very good at that. I know
>     you can change the sort order but going into the settings every
>     time is counter intuitive.
>
>     xbmc looks interesting but it is too much - perhaps there is a way
>     of cutting down xbmc so the only part of the interface is the
>     music player - I will look and see if this is possible
>
>     amarok is not really remote control friendly I know it can be
>     done, but the interface is not written to run on a tv with a remote...
>
>     Is there anything else?
>
>     Phil
>

> I have a squeeze box that plays into squeeze center running on the
> myth box controlled by an ipod touch.  I use it for pandora and
> rhapsody.  I think it can do stored songs too although we don't do that.
>
> Allen

Same here. I gave up on Mythmusic long ago. The dependencies on packages
I have in debian/myth meant i could never get a new enough release to
get aac support running either (.20 of myth and debian etch). I am
resorting to re-ripping my entire collection to MP3 though EAC as there
are just too many things limited by AAC. Apple really limited themselves
by going down the 'Sony' path. The few albums I bought I converted into
WAV then back into MP3 :(.

I went and bought a logitech squeezebox and fell in love with it. No
need to start up a PC to listen to music which is quite frankly,
overkill. Squeeze Center is being adapted on quite a few fronts as well
not to mention a plugin in myth now i believe.

Lastly, unless you've got a decent enough LCD and menu system, you have
to turn the TV on as well with MYTH! .. I haven't seen 0.21/0.22 yet but
Myth developers could go a long way in user experience by adopting
similar methodologies to the squeezebox. I only wish I had the brain to
do such things... but code is not my forte.

BC.