[mythtv-users] Tuning to DVB channel without transmisson

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Tue Jun 30 19:18:52 UTC 2009

>> channel my
>> evening

>> mythconverg

>> setup?
>>> Do you have 'Interactive TV' [1] enabled? If you do, and the channel
>>> displays an off-air broadcast message, you should be able to choose
>>> another channel normally if you tune to the channel whilst it is not
>>> broadcasting.
>>>
>>> [1] configured in mythfrontend TV setup
>>>
>>  This doesn't seem to work for me. I can see the off air message, but the
>> channel won't retune. I would like to solve it if possible as having to
>> select a different tuner significantly impacts WAF.
>
> Which channels don't work?
>
> I've just tried this for BBC Three BBC Four (which are currently
> off-air until 1900) and Virgin ! +1 (back on at 1800) and got the
> off-air placeholder text (saying e.g. "BBC Three is available from
> 7.00pm daily..." and could use the OSD browser or direct channel
> number entry to change to another channel. These are the only 3
> channels on UK DVB-T that I might tune to in LiveTV.
>
> I guess success depends on the particular broadcaster and whether they
> provide MHEG data/graphics to permit "tuning" to an off-air channel,
> but since the introduction of the MHEG interactive TV browsing I don't
> seem to have gotten stuck on these channels before.

None of them work for me - BBC4, CBBC, Virgin 1, Yesterday. I can see
the off air place holder, but whatever method I use to change channel
fails. I'll try tuning up the logging level tonight and see what happens
in the morning.

I often record things from BBC4 in the evening and the children watch
BBC, so when Anne tries to watch the news in the morning she often gets
  a tuner which is "stuck". Even trying to change the channel to another
one on the same multiplex fails.

I have thee different tuners - I'll try to remember to see if it's one
particular one that gets stuck.

Ian.