[mythtv-users] Tuning to DVB channel without transmisson

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 16:39:03 UTC 2009

On 29/06/2009, Ian Barton <lists at manor-farm.org> wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:
>
> > On 29/06/2009, Dag Nygren <dag at newtech.fi> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there
> > >
> > >  Our MythTV (0.21-fixes) seems to freeze with a black screen when trying
> > >  tune to a DVB channel wothout transmission.
> > >
> > >  This happens regularly here as we have childrens channels that stop
> > >  transmitting at 18:00 and starts again in the morning. If the last
> channel my
> > >  children watched was one of these and I continue watching later in the
> evening
> > >  I am had.
> > >
> > >  The only way I have been able to get out of this is editing the
> mythconverg
> > >  database by hand.
> > >
> > >  Is there any easier workaround or do I have something wrong in my
> setup?
> > >

> > Do you have 'Interactive TV' [1] enabled? If you do, and the channel
> > displays an off-air broadcast message, you should be able to choose
> > another channel normally if you tune to the channel whilst it is not
> > broadcasting.
> >
> > [1] configured in mythfrontend TV setup
> >

>  This doesn't seem to work for me. I can see the off air message, but the
> channel won't retune. I would like to solve it if possible as having to
> select a different tuner significantly impacts WAF.

Which channels don't work?

I've just tried this for BBC Three BBC Four (which are currently
off-air until 1900) and Virgin ! +1 (back on at 1800) and got the
off-air placeholder text (saying e.g. "BBC Three is available from
7.00pm daily..." and could use the OSD browser or direct channel
number entry to change to another channel. These are the only 3
channels on UK DVB-T that I might tune to in LiveTV.

I guess success depends on the particular broadcaster and whether they
provide MHEG data/graphics to permit "tuning" to an off-air channel,
but since the introduction of the MHEG interactive TV browsing I don't
seem to have gotten stuck on these channels before.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott