[mythtv-users] Tuning to DVB channel without transmisson

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Mon Jun 29 17:57:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Dag Nygren wrote:

> Our MythTV (0.21-fixes) seems to freeze with a black screen when trying to
> tune to a DVB channel wothout transmission.
>
> This happens regularly here as we have childrens channels that stop
> transmitting at 18:00 and starts again in the morning. If the last channel my
> children watched was one of these and I continue watching later in the evening
> I am had.
>
> The only way I have been able to get out of this is editing the mythconverg
> database by hand.
>
> Is there any easier workaround or do I have something wrong in my setup?

I configure lirc to run a script when I hit the remote control 'power'
button. In that script:

#!/bin/bash
PROG=mythfrontend
#PROG=gnome-session
STATUS=`ps -e | grep $PROG | grep -v grep | wc -l | awk '{print $1}'`

if [ `echo $DISPLAY | grep -c ":0"` -ge 1 ]
then
     if [ $STATUS -eq 0 ]
     then
         echo "use mythconverg; update cardinput set startchan=1;" | mysql \
 		-u root --password=XXXXX
 	xrandr -s 1024x576 # AJB 20071104
         #( $PROG & )
         ( $PROG >/dev/null 2>&1 & )
     else
         killall $PROG
         echo "use mythconverg; update cardinput set startchan=1;" | mysql \
 		-u root --password=XXXXX
     fi
fi
exit 0
# try to fix problems with MythArchive mythtranscode sometimes failing
rm -f ~mythtv/.ICEauthority

> Best
> Dag

HTH,