[mythtv-users] Ownership problem on recordings.

john blue rwc at bestpond.com
Mon Jun 29 07:45:37 UTC 2009

On Mon June 29 2009 11:42:44 Larry Finger wrote:
> john blue wrote:
> > psaux shows this as the only reference to mythbackend.
> > root      7195  0.3  5.7 599612 117576 ?       Ssl  Jun28   4:05
> > /usr/bin/mythbackend --daemon --logfile /v
> >
> >>From that I gather that root has ownersip of the process and that may be
> >> why I have the problem with
> >
> > ownership.
> >
> > However, as mentioned I am using SuSE 11.1 and standard mythtv packages
> > for SuSE from the packman repositories.  If I look at the /usr/bin
> > directory for mythtv files there are several mythtv files all owned by
> > root with group root.
> >

> > mythtv at mythtv:/usr/bin> ls -l myth*
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  311552 2009-02-23 03:03 mytharchivehelper
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1142408 2009-05-20 08:11 mythbackend
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  107680 2009-02-23 03:03 mythbrowser
<snip>
> > Would I need to change the permissions here to resolbe the problem? and
> > if I did wouldn't the permissions be overwritten with any software
> > upgrade?
>
> My openSUSE 11.1 system has exactly the same situation as yours. The
> BE runs as root. The recordings are owned by root:root, but they can
> be deleted from the FE.
>
> Do you have a problem? I only have a single FE/BE, but do not have any
> trouble.

Hi Larry,

Thank you for the reply, and in particular for letting me know about your SuSE 11.1 system.

I have had the system going and have slowly been resolving various issues before I put it with the TV in the
loungeroom . I believe that my issues are connected with me having slave backend, rather than the main mythtv
FE/BE and perhaps not configuring NFS permissions correctly initially.

I understood that  the recordings should be owned by mythtv:users to work properly.  This may have arisen by
me mis-interpreting what was written in various of the mythtv discussions or forums.  I had been having
instances of programs being recorded and files not being found. This seems to now be resolved , and may have
been caused by the NFS setup I had previously. I think this has been  resolved with the settings I quoted in
my post earlier. A few days will certainly tell.

Thanks,
John

--

John Blue