[mythtv-users] mythbackend sometimes goes to 100%

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 27 10:01:32 UTC 2009

On 2009-06-27 11:24, Mike Perkins wrote:
> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>>
>> A 100% CPU load is nothing wrong, per C. The particular circumstances
>> *may* point toward a problem.
>> You explain why it is a problem and how you got there.
>>
> 100% cpu utilisation is almost certainly an indication that the system
> needs *more* processor than is available.

That depends on the time you will allow for the task to complete.

> 100% is all that the cpu can give, by definition. You have absolutely
no idea how much is actually
> required, just that your system is saturated.

'No idea' depends on the preceding history.
Also you know that with twice the speed you would roughly wait half as long.

> If your system shows somewhere between 80%-95% (roughly), I would agree
> with you. You always need to keep a little margin to allow for occasion
> use by the other processes in your machine. Like, for example syslogd or
> ntpd.

It depends on the 'dominant' task running and the scheduler of the unix
in question.
As long as the dominant task is not time critical and the scheduler
allows other processes their CPU-time I see no problem.