[mythtv-users] XvMC Playback Segfault

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Jun 27 02:40:54 UTC 2009

Marc Tousignant wrote:
> I am getting a segfault when trying to use the following XvMC options with
> an nVidia card and Watching TV/Recordings
> Resolution
>
>> = 1280 720
>
> Decoder
>
> XvMC
>

> Video Renderer
>
> xvmc-blit
>

> At first I thought  the issue was due to opengl-sync being on in the compile
> options so I turned that off, found someone else had a similar issue. It is
> not checked in the playback settings.
>
> Anyone know of a fix?
>

> XvMC support              yes
>
> XvMC VLD support          no
>
> XvMC pro support          no
>
> XvMC libs                 -lXvMCNVIDIA
>
> VDPAU support             no
>
> OpenGL video              no
>
> OpenGL vsync              no

Couple of things to try. from far too much time working with xvmc on
intel and openchrome (but not nvidia)
The Xvmc code in the Intel driver (pre version 2.6.0) was limited to a
resolution of 720x480. Nvidia's driver doesn't have that limit, AIUI but
try an SD program just in case the size is a problem.

Most important test: check that you have the full and correct pathname
and  filename for 'libXvMCNVIDIA...' in /etc/X11/XvMCConfig. For vdpau
capable drivers the proper name is the full pathname and filename
/usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 (which sym-links to
libXvMCNVIDIA.so.180.51 or whatever). IIRC the full pathname was not
used for the pre-vdpau version drivers, if you are using an earlier
driver. According to the README, xvmc is enabled in the vdpau capable
drivers, but of course, it only works on xvmc capable hardware.

Other than that, check out the wiki at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XvMC
especially the 'Configuring xorg.conf' section (if you haven't already
done so).

Geoff