[mythtv-users] vdpau sanity check

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Fri Jun 26 01:56:23 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> 2009/6/25 Brad DerManouelian <bderman at gmail.com>:
>
>> "two channel" can mean left/right, but it can also refer to the fact that
>> the S/PDIF standard only uses two data channels which is then decoded into
>> 5.1 audio channels in the processor. Not sure which they mean and they're
>> not very forthcoming with information as far as I could tell.
>
> that's just pro-logic or DTS-ES, not real discrete surround...

Mine is none of the above.  From the manual:

"When the Home Theater receiver is set to On, you can hear sound output
from the TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal,
the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver.
When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player /
Cable Box / Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) and is connected to the TV
via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater
receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the digital
audio out jack on DVD / Blu-ray player / Cable Box / Satellite receiver
(Set-Top Box) directly to an Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV."

This is on a UN46B6000.