[mythtv-users] Graphite, big changes...

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Jun 23 22:24:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 09:06 -0700, Robert McNamara wrote:

> Me too.  :)   Don't mind people looking at the above images and movie,
> I'm just so irritated at the available screenshot and movie utilities,
> they seem to have serious issues with multiple openGL layers
> composited on top of each other, and turn it into a flickering,
> too-fast mess and with screenshots often cut off random chunks of
> screen.  :(  Unfortunately the only way to see how it really behaves
> is to try it.

Robert, this has always been the case with direct rendering.. The
solution is to render to a analog hdtv screen, which happens to
be plugged through a frame grabber. The HD-PVR is also a very
affordable alternative to a frame grabber :)

The traditional low-budget alternative is to use indirect rendering,
which is only well supported on SGI's... Erm, I believe nVidia may
have a passable implementation of it these days in order to support
the Composite extension used by many modern window managers. The
problem with this is that indirect rendering is slower, so it won't
behave as well as the real thing.

-- Daniel