[mythtv-users] No HDMI audio

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 16:54:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Allen Edwards<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> A simple test is to set alsa up with
>
>   pcm.!default {
>      type plug
>      slave.pcm "hdmi"
>   }
>
> and put a CD in and issue this command
>
> mplayer -cache 500 -cdrom-device /dev/cdrom cdda://
>
> Also, don't ignore settings in your TV.  It would be great if you had
> another hdmi device to use to test the TV.

Thanks.  I will try that in my alsa config (I might have already tried
it, but it was 2am...).

I tried a direct HDMI connection between the TV and the Dish VIP211,
and video and audio were just fine.

I tried connecting a Zotac ION box to the TV via HDMI, but they refuse
to talk to each other, even at BIOS startup time.  There's another
thread here about that, suggesting HDCP problems, so I can see that
I'm in for even more fun.

Jim