[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 13:17:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Tom Dexter<digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Yeechang Lee<ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
>> Given Jean-Yves' report that this issue does not exist in trunk, I
>> have reverted the patch and hope that the issue can be fixed for
>> -fixes users in a way that does not require transcoding of all
>> affected recordings. (As far as I know I never saw the remote-delay
>> issue, anyway!)
>>
>> --
>> Frontend/backend:       P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
>> Backend:                Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
>> Video inputs:           Four high-definition over FireWire/OTA
>> Accessories:            47" 1080p LCD, 5.1 digital, and MX-600
>
> I definitely had the remote/keyboard delay problem in a bad
> way...sometimes several minutes.  What I can't get past is that, even
> assuming the ffmpeg patch addresses it (and it seems that it did) that
> issue with ffmpeg was obviously there for a _long_ time before anyone
> saw these delays.  As I've mentioned before, for me the issue started
> as though someone flicked a switch with the upgrade to xorg-server
> 1.5.3 (under gentoo in my case)...and others noticed it immediately
> after upgrading to a version of Fedora with that version.
>
> Since installing the ffmpeg patch there's been a minor xorg update in
> Gentoo, and I've upgraded to the 2.6.28 kernel, upgraded to the nvidia
> 180.60 drivers, and recompiled my entire system with gcc 4.3.2  My
> system has been more stable than ever after that, and I've been able
> to use OpenGL vsync again with no problems.
>
> Just for the hell of it, I'm recompiling now without the ffmpeg patch
> to see if the remote delays return.  I'll report back.
>
> Tom

What do you know...I've been running for days without the ffmpeg
patch.  I've watched plenty of Fox and ABC 720p recordings, which were
always the ones where I saw the delay problems and everything's been
flawless.

It's hard to know which of the above changes affected it...since it
certainly seemed to start specifically from the upgrade to xorg-server
1.5.3, I'm wondering if any of the patches added between the Gentoo
xorg-server-1.5.3-r5 and xorg-server-1.5.3-r6 had anything to do with
it.  Something sure made a difference.

Tom