[mythtv-users] Force AC3 for HD-PVR?

Phil Linttell phil.linttell at rogers.com
Tue Jun 23 11:50:02 UTC 2009

I have an SA4250HD, and I don't see any way to force the box to output
AC3 instead of AAC for stereo.  However, you can set the HD-PVR to
encode AC3 (even for stereo channels) as follows:

v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0 --set-ctrl=audio_encoding=4

It appears to get reset on system boot (or back-end restart?), so you
may want to add it to rc.local.  Experiment first, however.  It would be
nice if we could set this in the MythTV recording profile for the HD-PVR.

I was trying to force the audio to AC3, as I noticed that the PS3 (DLNA
front-end) doesn't seem to like stereo AAC stereo streamed from MythTV -
I get no sound at all.   However, after setting the audio encoding as
above, I recorded three programs in a row that would normally have been
in stereo AAC, and the PS3  identified the audio as AC3 and played it
fine - making it a pretty nice front-end for HD-PVR recordings.

A caution though.... on my system (trunk 20737) the AC3 audio appears to
break the preview generating process and results in a debilitating
stream of messages on the back-end:

2009-06-23 05:59:36.862 [libfaad @ 0x7ff6cc838460]faac: frame decoding
failed: Gain control not yet implemented
2009-06-23 05:59:36.862 [libfaad @ 0x7ff6cc838460]faac: frame decoding
failed: Bitstream value not allowed by specification

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this one?

The other thing I haven't got to grips with is how to cut commercials
out of the H264 recording....  I don't want to have to manually skip
over commercials using the PS3 (ffd/rwd are a bit touchy anyway when
streaming) so I'd really like to find a solution to cutting them out
automatically.  I've searched and it seems to simply be not supported
for H264.

I'm on Rogers cable in Canada, and all channels are encrypted, so all of
my recordings are through the HD-PVR and in H264.

Phil