[mythtv-users] Strong signal, ugly artifacts...

Andrea Giuliano sarkiaponius at alice.it
Tue Jun 23 00:45:34 UTC 2009

Dear Brian,

thanks for your kin answer, but I guess there is nothing wrong with the
amplifier: it has been working perfectly fine for many months, and (you
may or not believe me) the problem disappears completely if I run a
2.6.18 kernel!

I made some tests with other kernel, too: 2.6.25-2, 2.6.26-1 and
2.6.26-2 all prevent me from getting good recordings, while 2.6.18-6 let
me record exactly as I've always been doing for many months with the
same equipment.

The only thing I have changed is the graphics card: currently I have an
nVidia GeForce 4000 MX, with the legacy driver. The 2.6.18-6 kernel is
not yet configured for this card, so I could record only using mplayer
from the command line. But mplayer, just like mythtv and every other
player, records very bad movies when running the other kernel mentioned
above. Please note also that femon reports very bad values (and a
strange error message, too) with the "bad" kernels, and normal values
(and no errors) with the "good" kernel.

Since I've been using those kernels for months without problems, the
different behaviour cannot be just a matter of drivers: my DVB-S card,
or something else in my Linux box, may have some problems that more
recent kernels cannot handle (and maybe they're right doing so), while
the old one can.

It's all so strange!

Best regards.